Cheesy Tex-Mex Casserole Recipe
1½ lbs ground beef or ground turkey
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp Tex-Mex seasoning
1 cup (9 oz.) crushed tomatoes
2 oz. pickled jalapeños
2 cups (8 oz.) cheddar cheese, shredded
¾ cup sour cream or crème fraîche
1 (½ oz.) scallion, finely chopped
5 oz. (2½ cups) leafy greens or iceberg lettuce
1 cup guacamole (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Fry the ground beef in butter over medium high heat until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add Tex-Mex seasoning and crushed tomatoes. Stir and let simmer for 5 minutes. Taste to see if it needs additional salt and pepper.
- Place the ground beef mixture in a greased baking dish (about 9″ or 23 cm in diameter). Top with jalapeños and cheese.
- Bake on upper rack in oven for 15–20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Mix the scallion with the crème fraîche or sour cream in a separate bowl.
- Serve the casserole warm with a dollop of the crème fraîche or sour cream, guacamole and a green salad.
This recipe is from dietdoctor.com. They do an amazing job of providing recipes that help us to stay in a insulin sensitive state!