Korean Beef Bowl
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and grated on a microplane
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 pounds ground beef, (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos, (see notes)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce, (see notes)
- 4 cups cauliflower rice, (can sub white rice if you’re not doing Whole30)
- 6 cups greens of choice, (chopped romaine, arugula, spinach, etc.)
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 tbsp hot sauce, (adjust to taste)
- chopped green onions
- sliced avocado
- Start by preparing rice to have it ready. If serving with cauliflower rice, wait until the beef is almost done as it only takes a few minutes to cook.
- Dice shallot and grate ginger to have it ready.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add sesame oil. Once hot, add in ground beef. Break the beef up into small bits.
- Add the shallot, ginger, red pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder and mix with the beef. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned and developing some crispy bits, about 8 minutes.
- Add the coconut aminos and fish sauce and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- If you are making the optional sauce, mix the mayo and hot sauce in a small bowl.
- Serve beef in a bowl over a bed of greens with rice or cauliflower rice. Top with optional sauce and enjoy.
The recipe can also be made with ground pork, chicken or turkey.
The coconut aminos linked to in the recipe are the aminos we use (Coconut Secret coconut aminos). Braggs brand aminos are NOT the same thing. Braggs liquid aminos are a soy-based and much saltier than coconut aminos. If you use Braggs aminos, we suggest using only 1-2 tbsp to start and adjusting to taste. You can also omit the salt from the recipe.
As an alternative to coconut aminos, you can make your own using our DIY coconut aminos substitute recipe.
If you wish to omit the fish sauce, you can replace it with more coconut aminos. Since fish sauce is salty, you may need to add more salt to suit your taste.