Mid Back Pain in St. Louis
Chiropractic Relief for Mid-Back Pain
Understanding Mid Back Pain
Patients who visit a chiropractor with complaints of mid-back pain typically describe it as a tight, sometimes gnawing discomfort. This type of pain can be especially frustrating because the middle back doesn’t have the same range of motion as the neck and lower back, primarily due to the ribcage that tightly encases it. Understanding the causes of mid-back pain is essential to finding effective solutions.
Causes of Mid Back Pain
Mid-back pain often arises due to postural issues. Individuals may notice an exacerbation of this pain when sitting for extended periods, such as during long workdays spent at a desk or in front of a computer. Poor posture, common in today’s sedentary lifestyles, can contribute significantly to mid-back pain. The key to addressing this type of discomfort is correcting abnormal posture and making changes to activities and ergonomics, especially when it involves prolonged sitting.
However, some patients may experience mid-back pain due to more complex reasons. These underlying causes can include:
Scoliosis in the Middle Back
Scoliosis is a condition characterized by an abnormal curvature of the spine. When this curvature occurs in the middle back, it can lead to chronic pain and discomfort.
Rounding of the Middle Back (Hyperkyphosis)
Hyperkyphosis refers to an excessive forward rounding of the middle back. This structural issue can contribute to mid-back pain and postural problems.
Over time, muscle imbalances can develop in the mid-back region due to overuse, underuse, or incorrect use of certain muscle groups. These imbalances can result from activities such as heavy lifting, repetitive motions, or even stress-induced tension.
The Impact of Mid Back Pain
Mid-back pain isn’t just an inconvenience; it can have a significant impact on your daily life. Individuals suffering from mid-back pain often report:
- Pain Between the Shoulder Blades: A common and sometimes relentless discomfort experienced in the middle back region.
- Rib Pain: Pain or tenderness associated with the ribcage can be a result of mid-back issues.
- Pain in the Sternum: Discomfort in the breastbone area can be related to mid-back problems.
- Pain in the Collar Bone Area: Pain or tension around the collarbone region can also be linked to mid-back issues
- Pain While Taking a Deep Breath: Breathing discomfort can occur when mid-back pain interferes with the expansion of the ribcage during inhalation.
How Chiropractors Can Help
Chiropractors are skilled healthcare providers trained to diagnose and treat a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions, including mid-back pain. They offer a holistic approach to addressing the root causes of your discomfort and work toward providing long-term relief. Here’s how chiropractic care can help with mid-back pain:
The journey to relief from mid-back pain begins with a comprehensive assessment. Your chiropractor will take a detailed medical history, inquire about your symptoms, and conduct a physical examination. This assessment may also include diagnostic imaging such as X-rays or other advanced imaging techniques to visualize the structure of your spine and ribcage accurately.
Personalized Treatment Plans
Once the cause of your mid-back pain is identified, your chiropractor will develop a personalized treatment plan tailored to your specific needs. This plan may include a combination of the following approaches:
- Chiropractic Adjustments: Precision spinal adjustments to address misalignments in the spine and ribcage. By gently manipulating these structures, chiropractors can improve joint function and alleviate discomfort. The adjustments are often painless and provide a sense of relief as the spine returns to its proper alignment.
- Corrective Exercises: Chiropractors may prescribe specific exercises designed to target and strengthen the muscles and soft tissues surrounding the middle back. These exercises help improve posture, enhance spinal stability, and reduce the risk of future discomfort.
- Spinal Traction: In some cases, spinal traction may be recommended to alleviate mid-back pain. This technique involves using mechanical forces to stretch the spine gently. It can help relieve pressure on the affected area, reduce muscle tension, and improve mobility.
One of the most significant advantages of chiropractic care is its focus on addressing the underlying causes of mid-back pain, rather than merely providing temporary relief. While other treatment methods may offer short-term benefits, chiropractic adjustments and corrective exercises aim to provide lasting improvements in spinal alignment and function.
Research has shown that chiropractic care can lead to long-term reductions in mid-back pain, with many patients experiencing relief for over a year after treatment. By targeting the root issues and promoting proper spinal health, chiropractors help patients regain their quality of life and reduce the risk of recurring pain.
In addition to providing relief from existing mid-back pain, chiropractors emphasize the importance of preventive care. By addressing the underlying causes of discomfort and educating patients on proper posture and body mechanics, chiropractors empower individuals to take control of their spinal health.
Preventive measures may include ergonomic adjustments in the workplace or during daily activities, guidance on posture improvement, and recommendations for exercises and stretches to maintain spinal flexibility and strength.
Seek Relief from Mid-Back Pain
At our clinic in Lake St. Louis, MO, we understand the impact mid-back pain can have on your life. Our dedicated team of chiropractors is committed to helping you find lasting relief from discomfort and improve your overall spinal health.
If you’re tired of living with mid-back pain or discomfort between your shoulder blades, we invite you to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced chiropractors. We will conduct a thorough assessment to identify the root causes of your pain and create a personalized treatment plan to address them.
Don’t let mid-back pain limit your daily activities and well-being. Take the first step towards relief and improved spinal health by contacting Adjusted Life Chiropractic today. Our chiropractors are here to guide you on your journey to a pain-free, healthier life.
RELATED SERVICES & CONDITIONS
Reach out to us for any questions you might have!