Poor Posture in St. Louis
Improve Posture and Relieve Discomfort
Understanding Poor Posture: Causes and Consequences
In our experience, poor posture stands as one of the leading causes of back and neck pain, affecting individuals of all ages, genders, and physical conditions. Poor posture refers to the misalignment of your body with gravity, placing excessive stress on your muscles, joints, and ligaments, ultimately leading to pain and stiffness.
The consequences of poor posture extend beyond physical discomfort; they can negatively impact your health in various ways. When someone maintains poor posture, the function of the spinal cord and nerves can be adversely affected, potentially leading to a range of health issues. Simple everyday tasks, such as sitting or driving, can become sources of pain and discomfort. Additionally, poor posture can affect your appearance, causing you to appear shorter or wider than your actual proportions.
When evaluating a person’s posture, we look at specific factors from both the front and side views, including:
Front View Evaluation:
- Head and Neck: The head should be centered over the shoulders, with no bending, shifting, or rotation.
- Shoulders and Mid Back: Shoulders and the ribcage should be level and centered over the hips/pelvis, without rotation or off-center positioning.
- Hips and Pelvis: The hips and pelvis should be centered over the feet, with no twisting.
Side View Evaluation:
- Head and Neck: The ear should be centered and in-line over the shoulders, with no forward shifting.
- Shoulders and Mid Back: The shoulders and ribcage should be centered and in-line over the hips/pelvis, without forward or backward shifting.
- Hips and Pelvis: The hips and pelvis should be centered over the feet.
Poor posture doesn’t just impact your musculoskeletal system. It exerts increased pressure on the joints of the spine, hips, knees, and feet, leading to potential discomfort and pain. The muscles responsible for maintaining an upright posture are forced to work harder, resulting in tight, tense muscles that can become tender and painful to the touch.
Even if you’re not immediately aware of the problems it causes, poor posture can significantly affect your life in ways you may not even realize.
The Benefits of Treatment for Poor Posture
Our goal is to address poor posture comprehensively, offering relief from the various physical and emotional challenges it presents. Seeking chiropractic care at our clinic provides several benefits, including:
Improving “Forward Head Posture”
We target forward head posture, a common issue related to poor posture, to help you regain a more aligned and balanced appearance.
Correcting “Hunchback” Posture
We work on correcting hunchback posture, ensuring that your spine maintains a more natural and healthier curvature.
Aligning Uneven Shoulders
Our treatments focus on aligning uneven shoulders, which can significantly impact your posture and comfort.
Addressing Scapula Flaring
Flaring of the scapula, or shoulder blades, can contribute to poor posture. We correct this issue to improve your overall posture.
Eliminating “Text Neck”
In today’s digital age, “text neck” has become increasingly prevalent. Our therapies help combat this issue, promoting better posture.
How a Chiropractor Can Help with Poor Posture
Correcting poor posture involves a holistic approach, and chiropractic care and physical therapy offer effective, non-invasive methods for addressing this condition. Our process for treating poor posture typically includes the following steps:
We first diagnose poor posture through a physical examination and computerized postural analysis. This helps us identify the underlying cause of any abnormal findings.
Designing Customized Treatment
Once we understand the root cause of your poor posture, we design a customized chiropractic treatment plan tailored to your specific needs.
Therapies and Exercises
Our recommendations may include various therapies and corrective exercises to facilitate postural correction.
Postural Analysis and Follow-Up X-rays
We use one of the most well-recognized posture analysis systems to evaluate and measure abnormal posture, combined with follow-up X-rays to assess treatment effectiveness.
Corrective Treatment for Poor Posture May Include:
- Corrective Exercises: These exercises help strengthen the muscles around your spine, providing better support for your body.
- Specific Postural Adjustments: Our chiropractors employ precise adjustments to realign misaligned vertebrae and relieve any associated pain.
- Spinal Traction: State-of-the-art machines gently stretch your body into a better posture and alignment.
- Knee and Foot Assessment and Alignment: We assess the alignment of your knees and feet and make necessary adjustments through stretches, exercises, and custom foot orthotics.
Take the First Step Toward Improved Posture
Don’t let poor posture limit your life any longer. We are dedicated to helping you achieve better posture, reduced pain, and an overall improved quality of life. Our experienced chiropractors offer personalized care and effective solutions for poor posture, addressing your unique needs and circumstances.
If you’re ready to break free from the constraints of poor posture and take the first step toward improved well-being, we encourage you to contact us today. Schedule an appointment with our experienced chiropractors, and let us assess your condition, identify the root cause of your poor posture, and create a customized treatment plan exclusively for you.
Embrace better posture and a pain-free life with Adjusted Life as your partner in healing and recovery. Contact us today to start your journey toward a healthier, more upright, and more comfortable future.
RELATED SERVICES & CONDITIONS
Reach out to us for any questions you might have!